Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hand Stitching Tutorial

Hi!

Today I have a tutorial for you on how to accent paper craft projects with hand stitching. As you have seen, most of my scrapbook pages and cards include hand stitching because I love texture and detailing and I really like the way it looks. I often get questions about my stitching, people wondering if I use a machine or do it by hand. When I tell people I hand stitch, their next question is how do I make my lines straight and how do I keep my card stock clean and without creases. So, today I’d like to show you some of the techniques I use. 
 
For this tutorial I created a card using Doodlebug’s Colorwheel collection along with their Simply Sweet letter rub-ons and a limeade Boutique Button. Other supplies include card stock, Spellbinders dies, vellum, a pencil, paper piercer, needle and thread, and adhesives.
 
Your first step is to cut a piece of vellum and card stock the size of an A2 card which is 5 ½" x 4 ¼". Then I used some Spellbinders Nesting Dies to create some circles in my vellum. Once I was finished making the circles, I applied a piece of tape to the top of the card to keep the vellum overlay centered on the card stock base. 
Next I used a set of Spellbinders scalloped circle dies to create patterned paper circles that are one size larger than the circles cut in the vellum. You could also use the same circle dies if you don’t have a set of scalloped dies.
Now add a piece of double stick tape to the bottom of your die cut circles and center them underneath each of the vellum circles. Once it looks centered, just press it down so it sticks to your card stock base.
 

After you have positioned all your patterned paper die cuts, use another piece of tape to secure the opposite side of the velum overlay to the card stock base. Then center your round Spellbinders dies back over your circles and trace around the outside with a pencil to create a frame that you will use as a stitching pattern.

Once you have your frames traced, use an awl to pierce holes along your penciled circles at approximately 1/8” intervals. 


When you have pierced all your penciled circles, erase the remaining pencil marks and begin stitching. I use one ply of all purpose sewing thread and a straight stitch. You could use two ply or create pierced holes that are further apart and use DMC floss depending on the look you want to achieve.

After you are finished stitching, you have a pretty card base to accent. I used a pre-made die cut from the Doodlebug Colorwheel collection to embellish my card with.
Another way I like to add hand stitching to my projects is to pierce holes around the pattern of a die cut or patterned paper. 

On this piece of Doodlebug paper you can see I used the pattern as a guide to pierce and stitch.
 
To further accent to my die cut, I added this Colorwheel butterfly Icons sticker.
Lastly, I added a double sided die cut pennant that I applied some Simply Sweet rub-ons to and a limeade button.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and spend some time experimenting with different ways to add some hand stitching to your next project. If you have any questions, please leave me a comment and I will be sure to answer them.

Kathy :)

10 comments:

Gregsgirl's crafty corner said...

Thanks so much Kathy!

~amy~ said...

Love the hand stitching...gorgeous card!

Virginia L. said...

What an AWESOME tutorial, Kathy! I often thought that you machine stitch them! Your precision for the stitching is amazing! I am now all the more inspired to do more hand stitching! Thanks so much for taking the time to make this tutorial!

Alice said...

your hand-stitching is just amazing, Kathy! such a beautiful card and thanks for the tutorial!

Monika/Buzsy said...

What a fabulous card Kathy. I've always admired your stitches! They always look so nice. Thank you for the "secret"! I will have to try it.

Audrey Pettit said...

Your hand-stitching is always SO amazing, my dear! Thanks for sharing your tips and tricks with this gorgeous card!

Niki Estes said...

Great tutorial, Kathy!

Wanda G (stampcat) said...

Seriously, girl, you are just TOOO much! And I mean that in the best possible way! Thanks for this great tutorial - wowza! Happy Day to you! ♥

Tara Bilbao said...

WOW Kathy! Thank you for such a fabulous tutorial. I too have wondered how you stitch so perfectly and keep your machine needle from making holes that are too big - Now I know you hand stitch and it is just brilliant!I must try it soon.

Created by Kathi said...

Love how you hand sew so beautifully! Thanks for sharing how you make the magic happen! Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...