Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Granddaddy of Them All

Hello!

We have a sheet of ice covering our world this morning! School is closed for the day and I just finished working a puzzle with my son. It's going to be one of those days! How about you? What is on your agenda?

Yesterday I shared some second hand store and antique treasures that I found last Friday and today I have some shares from another recent treasure hunt. This place is the Granddaddy of them all! It's huge!You can literally spend the entire day there which we did! The building was once an old Kmart type store and when it closed, Granddaddy's Antiques came along and filled it with 100s of booths! Before the year ended a friend of mine and her mom packed a cooler with lunch and headed over.


I've had my eye on some of these wood tote boxes for some time. They can be quite pricey so until I found this pine one for just $9, they were on my wish list!


Another item on my wish list that I see all the time with a rather large price tag is old wooden dough bowls. This one is small, only about 9" round, but it was only $6! Amazing bargain that was marked down at the register!


Here's a couple of rolling pins that made their way home with me! I love the handle colors, the aged patina and the price! One was $8 and the red one was half off for Christmas clearance! I started collecting rolling pins recently. I was also on the look out for an interesting vintage container to display them in when I saw on someone's blog use an old wine rack! I have a wine rack that was given to my husband and I for a wedding gift, but neither of us are wine drinkers! Perfect!


Here's one last wood item, a pair of children's shoe forms. I have a single shoe form that I enjoy and thought it would be fun to have a set. These were $8 for the pair!


I  often use vintage items for props when photographing my handmade cards, like frogs. This cute one was just $4!


Another old rusty metal item I couldn't resist are these skeleton keys! They were just $3 each and make a lovely display.


Bell jars make great display pieces too! I have a number of them all filled with different treasures. When I saw this half pint size, I had to have it! Usually they are more expensive for the smaller ones...I'm not sure why? Perhaps they are more rare? Anyway, the $6 price tag sold me on this little cutie!


I found a few great pottery pieces for my china cabinet too. This tureen is the sweetest! I'm not sure if I got a bargain or not at $22. There are no markings on the piece to give me any indication of its manufacturer, but I thought the price was reasonable.


Look at this lovely lady! What a  beautiful hen she is roosting on her basket! This too is a tureen, the perfect size for soup. Can you believe she was just $12? Marked down further at the register! I don't know the age on this one either...may not be old? I'm looking forward to displaying her in our china cabinet too!


Lastly is this beautiful old gravy boat...a steal at just $4! I'll have to show you all these pottery pieces displayed in the china cabinet when it arrives back from the furniture restoration shop.


This photo is my inspiration for all the ironstone and white pottery pieces I've been collecting. Gorgeous isn't it? It's from one of my favorite blogs, Cabin & Cottage.

That's a wrap for today's post. I hope you've enjoyed taking a peek at my latest treasures. Tomorrow I'm hoping to share some crafty goodness with you. I've started a scrapbook page and have some new digital kits from Two Peas in a Bucket that I'm working on. Hope you have a great day! Thanks for the visit! :) Kathy

13 comments:

Lin said...

Love seeing what you've found, Kathy! My fave is the wood handled box - it's gorgeous. And I have a skeleton key like those that actually came from the house I grew up in! Keep posting these kinds of posts, your blog is so interesting with them!

Kay said...

Wow! You have some amazing "finds"! You're going to have so much fun decorating your home! Stay warm and safe in that icy weather! ♥♥ Kay

Clare said...

Wow, what neat, unique finds, Kathy! I really love the hen - so fun! :)

Maria said...

Wow, loved looking at all your antique finds...how fun! We've been getting snow since noon today. I love snow, but not to drive in it! :-)Stay warm...take care!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

LOVE your blog! Very inspiring!!!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Unknown said...

I need to shop with you LOL. Lovely finds.

Laurel said...

LOVE all the stuff you have been showing lately. I used to be a garage saler but got out of it. I started back into it a little last summer but hope to do even more this year... just that my mom visits on a Saturday morning... don't want to tell her not to.

BTW I got my flower frogs for 25 cents each!

Suzanne C said...

Would have loved to gone shopping along with you and this was the next best thing! Great finds! Your house must be bursting with all the goodies you found.

BabyBokChoy said...

WOW, not just on how you find these amazing finds, but that you have a home to house amazing finds. It takes a true HOME to do that you know, not the functional thing that I live in, sigh... lol.

cnelson said...

Such amazing finds!!!

Alice said...

wonderful collection, Kathy! love that cute little glass jar! thanks for sharing!

Audrey Pettit said...

You scored such awesome goodies that day, Kathy! How fun that was! Always, always love a trip out to Granddaddy's. Can't wait for Selma. :)

Victoria said...

Wow!!!! I've been searching for a dough bowl with an inexpensive price tag, too!!!! That's a great buy! And I love all things wood, especially that little wooden tray! Another great price on that! My daughter's in Knightdale, I must be sure to shop some antique stores the next time I'm in NC!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...