Friday, September 28, 2012

Giving Credit Where Credit is Due

Did you know that Holiday Cards and More, Vol. 7 went on sale last week? Have you seen it? It's so inspiring, loaded with the most beautiful holiday cards and projects! I'm so excited because my first publications for Paper Crafts is included!


The thing that I love the most about this issue is the variety of styles and levels from quick and easy to the more technical. There's something for everyone!


Here's one of my three projects that appears in this issue.


I used October Afternoon's Holiday Style. It's one of my all-time favorite Christmas lines.


I love the vintage vibe to this collection!


I also have an interesting story to tell you with regards to this card and who ultimately inspired its creation.

 This 'version' with the green buttons was created by Amy Heller and pinned by yours truly. I absolutely adore Amy's work and pin just about everything she makes!

Apparently, this design was memorable enough to influence the creation of my card and it wasn't until after I finished it, submitted it to Paper Crafts and got it picked up that I was perusing my pin boards and came across Amy's card for a second time. I nearly fell off my chair! I couldn't believe the similarity and was alarmed that Amy would see it in the magazine! What would she think?

I was in a panic. Not only does it look like I copied her card, but I submitted it for publishing! I didn't know what to do. I believe that we should always give credit to those artists that inspire our work or give us a great design to 'lift.'

I decided I'd send Amy an e-mail and tell her the whole story and include a photo of my card. I had no idea how she would respond. I wondered how I would if the tables were turned? Well, I can tell you this, not only is Amy Heller an amazing paper craft artist, but she's also a class act when it comes to handling situations like this! While she acknowledged that the cards were indeed similar, she said she thinks my work is good enough to be published on its own merits. How cool is that?

Anyway, I wanted to tell this story when the magazine came out because I want to give Amy some credit for this fabulous card. Thank you, Amy! And thank you for your grace in handling this situation! I also know that in this industry, we all experience times when a project or unique technique is borrowed by another crafter. Personally, if someone is inspired by a project of mine and lifts it, I don't mind so long is this is mentioned when their project is blogged. This often gets a little fuzzy because most ideas out there are not new, just reinvented and given a fresh new perspective. I suppose we must all be mindful of where our inspiration comes from and be willing to credit an artist in our posts as we do with our listing of supplies.

Do you have any thoughts on this topic that you would like to share? Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear what you think.

T.G.I.F! Hope it's a good one!

13 comments:

Laurel said...

Love your card and I too love Amy's work!

Lynn said...

I agree 100% with your comments Kathy. You are a class act and it sounds like Amy is too!

Love your card and we're neighbors in the magazine :)

Virginia L. said...

Congrats on the pub, Kathy! I thought you already had lots of pubs with PC!? I am sure there will be more to come! I love how this turned out for you and Amy! What a graceful and talented person Amy is! And Thank you for sharing this!

Mendi Yoshikawa said...

These both turned out awesome! Congrats on being published! This situation is such a big fear of mine. Sometimes an idea just sticks with you so much subconsciously that they come out in your work and it's hard to remember where that creative spark came from. Sounds like Amy is a gracious gal.

Alice Carman said...

You're a class act too!

Diana Waite said...

I agree in being honest, giving credit where credit is due..that being said your card ROCKS! I can see where the other maybe inspired you but it stands along as AWESOME!

Amy Heller said...

You are very sweet, Kathy for posting this. But as I've said all along, I honestly don't see enough similarities to think that you were doing anything wrong. I think the biggest thing is that we used the same sticker as our focal point. In any case, you my sweet friend, are a class act! ;) And your card is AWE-SoME!

~amy~ said...

Such an awesome post Kathy...love your style and congrats!

Kim said...

HUge congrats its a Stunning card!

alexandra s.m. said...

CONGRATULATIONS Kathy!
I love your card and I really appreciate reading the anecdote. I'm glad Amy understood too! I think it's great you contacted her about the card!

Wanda G (stampcat) said...

Hi Kathy! Congratulations on being published! Your work and Amy's work are both just awesome! I think you are both classy ladies and yes, we are all inspired by each other. The best we can do is give a shout out and credit. It all comes back in the end. Can't wait to get my copy of the mag!
:-)

adele said...

Congrats on your publications Kathy! Well deserved. I am always blown away by your talent. It says alot about you that you were concerned with your card being too similar to Amy's. You are a class act in my mind as well :)

Alice said...

you are a class act too by notifying Amy. i love how Amy's card has inspired yours and frankly, i think you put YOU in it. =) it's a fabulous and and i love it as soon as i saw it in the mag! always love your work, Kathy and congrats on the publication! =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...