Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Vintage Book Wreath

Hi! How are you doing? I've been doing a bit of blog hopping and it seems you all had a wonderful Christmas! I'm seeing some Valentine projects show up on your blogs and I look forward to working on a couple myself in the next few days!

If you didn't see my post from yesterday, I've been spending a little time this week re-arranging the shelves in our family room. I thought it would be fun to do a cream, white, glass and metal display. Scroll down to yesterday's post if you would like to see the arrangement I created. I had so much fun with the project I continued on with the fireplace mantel and made a wreath from a vintage history book.


Isn't it fun and funky? Do you like it?


I created this wreath with a wire coat hanger. I bent the coat hanger into a circle and then untwisted the top part, leaving the hanger part alone so I could use it to hang the wreath when it was finished. Then I used an outdated vintage history book, from the 50's. I carefully pulled each page out, crumpled it and then used the end of the coat hanger to jab it onto the hanger. I used the entire book which was about 400+ pages!


Along with the wreath I added a couple sterling silver pieces to the mantel. I pulled these out of a cabinet where they had been sitting for years. You should have seen the tarnish! Black and blue and purple! Ugh!


This next photo shows an addition to the shelves I decorated yesterday. I carefully rolled up some antique 1927 sheet music with some seam binding for an fun display. Later, I'll still be able to use the sheet music for another project.


Yesterday I mentioned that I'd like to replace the colorful poppy wall art for a winter Currier & Ives print my friend gave me for Christmas. Below is the photo of that. Isn't it pretty? Click on the picture if you would like to enlarge it. I think it fits the color scheme perfectly!


Today I'm planning on continuing on to the other side of the fireplace where I have another set of built in shelves. Hopefully, I'll find enough stuff around the house to keep the color theme the same. I'll be back tomorrow to show you what I've come up with.

Thank you so much for your comments and support. I really enjoy hearing from you and it's nice to know if you enjoy my posts. With your feedback, I can continue blogging about the things you want to see! Have a super day! :)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how it turned out so neat. I need to go shopping in your house. LOL.

Shelley said...

Kathy, I know I've been really poor about leaving you comments but I have to say....you are blowing me away, girl! FABULOUS projects! Your house is stunning! Happiest of New Years to you!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I love your book pages wreath. Very pretty and unusual.

Love it all. Your mantel looks great.

hugs
Sissie

Lynn said...

Holy cow! Your wreath is amazing!

Unknown said...

Kathy, I meant to post yesterday how much I loved your new wall! Love it all! And I love the wreath - so cute!!!

~amy~ said...

WOW...soooo pretty...I love it when you let us take a peek into your gorgeous home!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful wreath and your decorating is beautiful! Love the silver with natural accents.

Maureen Merritt said...

OMG! Like it? I LOVE it!!!!!!

Sasha Holloway said...

serious!!!
WOW stunning I love this tons. Happy new year .. thanks for being so inspiring ..

Taylor said...

That wreath you created is fabulous and way to go on the re-decorating already! I still have to get my Christmas decor taken down!

Rose said...

What an awesome book cage wreath! AND. Contests on winning the December Freebie Friday!! ;)

Audrey Pettit said...

Your mantel looks lovely, Kathy! So very soothing and pretty, and your wreath is a great eye catcher. Really nice! Such a great way to recycle an old book.
Wishing you and your guys a very Happy New Year. Here's hoping 2011 is your best year yet!

Clare said...

I LOVE the wreath, and your amazing designing!

Unknown said...

Hello,
I just joined your Blog and love it.
I found your via PINTEREST.

Have a great day!
"Lin"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...