Monday, December 6, 2010

Holiday Festivities

Hi! I hope you had a great weekend and enjoyed some holiday activities. I took the weekend off from crafting and blogging to do some shopping, have a little girl time and run through our first snow! Like a kid I stood there with my tounge out, catching snowflakes. Yummy! They were wet ones!


Here in North Carolina, we get an average of eight inches of snow a year which means that some seasons we don't get any and when we do get some snow, it almost always falls in January and February. This weekend, however, we were surprised with our first snow on December 4th! My girlfriend and I made a little trip to Hillsborough, North Carolina, a quaint little town with some antique shops like The Cottage photographed above.


Here's a photo of the downtown area with the city Christmas tree in view. It really feels like Christmas when snow is falling all around you! When I look at this photo I think of the holiday song, City Sidewalks!

During the past week, while visiting some of your blogs, I've enjoyed seeing your Christmas decorations. I love that blogging and technology allows us to 'visit' one anothers' homes and share our holiday traditions and decor with each other. So today I thought I would share some photos of our Christmas home with you.


Our lovely tree is an eclectic mix of old and new, Hallmark and a few finer hand blown pieces with a Lenox and Waterford or two mixed in. I have one ornament on the tree from my childhood. In 1984, I bought my first Hallmark ornament. Since then every year we've collected ornaments as gifts, we purchased some and I've made many. It's a history of all our Christmases combined.


This year we have an antique sled under the tree. This photo was taken weeks ago before the tree was up, but it shows the sled at a better angle. I can't wait to fill it with some pretty packages. This weekend I found an adorable old metal xylophone to place under the tree too. Isn't it precious? Having old toys under the tree that my husband and I would have played with when we were children evokes magical Christmas memories!


Here are some antique mercury glass ornaments I've been picking up here and there. Some of these are so old they feel like fragile tiny bird eggs!


I thought a photo of them would look appropriate in an old silver tray that needs polishing!


On the top shelf of this built-in bookcase, we have all nine of Christopher's photos with Santa. I love to see how he's grown each year and how he reacted to Santa each year. The middle shelf on the left hand side houses the five plaster buildings I hand painted in the early 1990s.


Here's a close up of the train station. I put many hours of painting into each of these wee buildings. Such fond memories!

I hope you enjoyed visiting with me today as I enjoy having you stop by. I'll be browsing your blogs this week to see your projects, decorations, recipes and activities. Enjoy every minute! :) Kathy

6 comments:

cnelson said...

Such a lovely home! So warm and inviting! TFS!

Audrey Pettit said...

Your pictures turned out great, Kathy! I borrowed these since I didn't have my camera along. :)
Love seeing the photos of your home all decked out for the holidays. The antique sled looks so fabulous. Love the old xylophone on it and the wooden ellie nearby. The antique ornaments look wonderful in your silver bowl, too.

Terri said...

Excellent idea to take the time off and be with friends. Your tree looks lovely, and I love your mercury glass ornaments.
Hugs,
Terri

Lin said...

Oh, Kathy, your tree is breath-taking and I enjoyed your little tour of your home at Christmas, too! Thanks so much for the share!

Carly said...

Your snow pics are wonderful and Christmas'y. I just love all your beautiful vintage touches and gorgeous tree too! It's all so lovely!

Barbra said...

I have a soft spot for old toys also. That sled is perfectly wonderful. "They" say we may have flurries on Tuesday...yay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...