Monday, August 30, 2010

Do You Like Antiques?

It's the beginning of another week! Did you enjoy the weekend? I work a lot of my weekends, but this weekend I didn't do a whole lot in my office and it was a refreshing change. On Saturday my dear friend Audrey and I decided to take a little road trip to an Antique Mall called Granddaddy's. She's been shopping there for years and just introduced me to the place about a month ago. It's huge! It's in an old K-Mart type building loaded with individual booths. You can spend the entire day there! Both last time we went and on Saturday we got kicked out at closing time! We were there about five hours and could have stayed longer!


Knowing that we would be walking, standing and browsing for so long we decided to eat first at a favorite traveler's stop in the south called Cracker Barrel. They serve breakfast all day that includes biscuits, gravy and grits! Cracker Barrel is famous for their chicken and dumplings, meatloaf, and sides such as collard greens and lima beans. It's a great place to eat and shop. Each location has a country store filled with gifts and goodies that will bring you back to the good old days!

Here's Ms. Pettit, ready to take on Cracker Barrel!


We really had a fabulous time looking at all the wares at Granddaddy's! They have it all! And we both found a few treasures among a lot of fun and nostalgic things. I've recently decided that I'd like to go back to storing food in the refrigerator the old fashioned way, in old glass refrigerator boxes. It's been in the news lately that plastic is made of some pretty nasty stuff that leaches into our food. I found four nice refrigerator boxes that I liked. I didn't take pictures of those, however. I did get pictures of the following items.

I love old books and classics and found a few to keep me busy for a little while. I'm currently reading one called, 'Heidi' so that's on my nightstand.


Audrey spied this little guy and showed him to me. She knows I like birds and he's quite handsome, don't you think? And at just $4 I couldn't resist taking him home!


This is a little milk glass vase that I really like. I love it's pedistal feet and fancy edging at the top. It stands about 6" tall. It was probably made during the period of the 1930s and 1940s when depression glass making was big business in the United States. Depression glass pieces were given out at movie theaters just for going to see the show and were also included in boxes of Quaker oats!


Here's an old Ball canning jar I picked up. I love storing little treasures around the house in these jars. I have one full of old marbles and another filled with pretty little shells. I think I'll put some of my vinatage buttons in this one.


This little red elephant was my favorite treasure of the day. He's a Larry Moore pottery piece. I did some research and discovered that Larry is the brother of Charles Moore who was more famous for his pottery pieces working at Jugtown pottery until the year 2000 when he founded his own workshop. I suppose brother Larry made pottery with him at his studio. Charles Moore later passed away in 2007. I can't find any current information on Larry Moore, however, I did find some pieces of his that were auctioned on eBay.

I hope you enjoyed browsing at my little treasures. Do you collect antiques? Do you have a particular collection? I'd love for you to share with me! Thanks again for dropping by. I apprecciate your visit! :) Kathy

6 comments:

Virginia L. said...

How fun to take a peek at your antiquing through your blog! This remind me of hitting the antique stores in my nearby town...Thanks so much for sharing! Love the birdie and elephant, too!

BabyBokChoy said...

Fun antique'ing :) okay, so I'm actually more stoked about Cracker Barrel, LOVE LOVE their food, LOVVVE

cnelson said...

so fun!! That little red elephant is my fave as well!!

farmhouse-story said...

thanks for sharing your trip! love to go through antique stores!

itsallrosi said...

great shopping!

Audrey Pettit said...

That was one fun day! I'm so glad you got that little red ellie, and how cool that you were able to find out something about his maker. Your stuff is looking mighty good. Love where you tucked your new birdie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...