Saturday, December 19, 2009

December Daily - Day Eighteen & Nineteen

Oops! I forgot to blog my December Daily last night! It was a lazy kind of day too so I can't blame it on a busy day!

We were expecting a storm to come our way yesterday so our county decided to let the kids off from school an hour early. Before my son arrived home I wrapped the last couple of presents for him and made some split pea soup. There's nothing like a hot bowl of soup on a cold and snowy day.



Ingredients

1 Package split peas rinsed
4-5 Stalks celery diced
1 yellow onion diced
6-8 carrots peeled and sliced
1/2 lb. Ham diced
Sea Salt
2 Tbsp. Parsley

Fill soup pot 3/4 full of water. Add split peas, celery, onion, carrots, ham and parsley. Simmer for 2-3 hours with lid on. Add sea salt to taste. That's it! Enjoy!



My crafty share is one that you make with an empty ribbon spool! I always love to make ornaments from something that would either be thrown away or put in the recycle bin.



Supplies needed:

Empty chipboard ribbon spool
Sheet music
Craft glue
Green craft string
Red card stock
Vintage image
Tinsel stem
Hot glue gun

Cut the overlapping sides off your chipboard ribbon spool so that you have a round disc. Cut about a 5" piece of green craft string to use as your ornament hanger and set aside. If your ribbon spool had 3/4 inch width ribbon on it, then cute a 3/4 inch strip of sheet music and glue it around the perimeter of your ribbon spool making sure to add your green craft string hanger at the. Then cut two round pieces of red card stock to cover both sides of your spool overlapping about 1/4 inch. I used my Silhouette to cut two red scalloped circles. You can use decorative scissors to cut scallops as well. Use craft glue to attach your red card stock to both sides of the spool. Take an image you like and cut it into a circle and place in the center of your ornament making sure the top of the image is lined up with your green craft string hanger. With a glue gun attach a tinsel stem around the border of your image. There you have it!

I hope you enjoyed today's entry and can come back tomorrow. Now that the to-do list is done, we will be enjoying days counting down to Christmas by making a gingerbread house and some baking for the neighbors.

3 comments:

cnelson said...

great use of that ribbon spool! your cleverness never ceases to amaze! that soup looks oh so warm and yummy! thanks for the recipe!

Sherry Wright said...

The soup looks yummy & love the little ornament!

Audrey Pettit said...

I'm so jealous your to-do list is done. You are much more on the ball than I am, my friend. I'm not sure I'll ever be done with the to-do list. ;)
Love your little ornament. Such a great idea to recycle those old ribbon spools and it's gorgeous, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...