Friday, February 4, 2011

Valentine Banner Tutorial

Happy Friday! It's Friday! A great day!

Here in North Carolina it's going to be cloudy, rainy and cold all weekend, but darn it, I'm not going to let it rain on my parade! I have my hubby all to myself for the weekend and I'm happy as a bird with a french fry!

Before I leave work behind for the weekend, I have a Valentine crafty share for you along with an attempted at making a tutorial! Since I haven't done tutorials, I started with an easy peasy project so that it just might be a success! Constructive criticism would be extremely helpful! So let me know if you were able to follow along and if you could make this project. Thanks!


Today's project is a Valentine banner I made with a new digital kit from Two Peas in a Bucket called 'Matchbook - Project 1' by Lauren Reid Designs.


This kit is designed to make these adorable matchbook photo Valentine cards! Love them...such a sweet idea! I thought it would be cool to see if I could come up with another way to use this kit so I cropped the designs on the front of the matchbook covers to make the round scalloped accents for my banner. This could easily be done for cards and scrapbook pages as well.


To get started on your banner you need a few supplies that you probably already have around the house. White craft glue, coffee filters, hole punch and paper fasteners.


You will need 12 coffee filters for each section of your banner. Fold each coffee filter in half twice so you have a 1/4 circle triangle like in the photo above.


After you have folded all 12 coffee filters in half twice, take your hole punch and punch a hole in each filter at the bottom point.


Once your coffee filters are folded and punched you are ready to assemble your banner section/pompom. Start with your first filter and place brad through the hole as shown above.


Starting with your second coffee filter, add a dab of glue around the punch of each filter before adding it to the brad.


You will add each filter from the back, spacing them at 1/4 intervals until you have added all 12 filters.


With your completed banner piece, add your embellishment to the center to cover the head of the brad. To the back of the filter, attach to the fastener, some ribbon to string your banner together.


And there you have a Valentine banner! These can be made for any holiday or occasion. I'm sure you can created something quite a bit more spectacular than I did here! My mind is racing with all sorts of banners ideas and ways to incorporate these little coffee filter pompoms into other types of projects.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If I wasn't clear on something, please leave a comment and let me know! I think it would be fun to make more tutorials for you! Have a super weekend! :) Kathy

12 comments:

cnelson said...

So cute and clever!! LOVE it!!

itsallrosi said...

great idea, Kathy!

Virginia L. said...

LOVE the tutorial, Kathy! I have some colorful muffin liners lying around... now I know what to do with them!! TFS!!

Nana said...

That is so very sweet :)

Unknown said...

wow!!!! love the tutorial!! thx

Angie Tieman said...

These are the cutest things ever! Thanks for the tutorial!

Mona Pendleton said...

Pretty flowers Kathy!

Alice said...

love your coffee filter flower/banner, Kathy! so clever. fabulous project!

BabyBokChoy said...

Seriously this is a BRILLIANT idea!! I'm so gonna be doing this with my kids this weekend!! how cute cute cute?!

Audrey Pettit said...

What a fun banner, Kathy!! I think both your project and your tutorial are fabulous. Very clear details and photos. Totally inspired by this!

Suzanne C said...

Adorable and so clever! What a fun banner.

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Oh how cute! What a great idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...