Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Thinking of You

Hi!

I have a bright and cheerful card to show you today, created with the Splash collection from Echo Park and a card sketch from Design by Diana.


Below is Diana's awesome sketch.


 I really liked the layering and knew it would be perfect for these colorful papers.


With bright and happy colors and whimsical patterns a playful pinwheel makes a good focal point.


These pretty gems and rub-on letters are from Doodlebug Designs.


Other supplies include a thin metal circle die from Spellbinders, a brad from Dear Lizzy and a Fiskars scalloped border punch. The red polka dot paper is from My Mind's Eye 'Love Me' line.


Before I go it is with a heavy heart that I would like to share some news. It was on Facebook almost 2 1/2 years ago that I heard from another paper crafter about a retired couple in Southern California who put up an owl box in their backyard. They were avid bird watchers interested in attracting barn owls. It took almost 2 years before a pair of owls came to nest in that box and the retired couple, Carlos and Donna, named them Molly and McGee. They also wanted to share the experience of watching these owls with their family and soon discovered that they could run live feed via USTEAM. The news about these owls on USTREAM spread to people all around the world and there were news stories about them in the paper as well as TV. I watched Molly and her owlets for months until they fledged. I work at my desk in front of a computer which allowed me to peek in on the owl box throughout the day. It was a great experience that I shared with Christopher. Later Molly and McGee went on to have two more clutches and we got watched most of the third clutch too. This month Molly and McGee began to work on a fourth clutch when McGee disappeared just a few days ago. Owls in the wild live an average of two years so it was inevitable that he would not return one day. It's very sad news none the less.



A lot of people in the scrapbook industry watched Molly so I thought I would share the news and a link to Molly's blog so you can leave a comment for Carlos and Donna Royal here.

I'll miss you McGee!

If any of you knew of Molly and McGee, I'd love to hear about it...leave a comment.

Kathy

6 comments:

Lin said...

LOVE this bright and happy card, Kathy! A great sketch, too, may have to give it a try myself......

And so very surprised to know that owls only live for TWO years? Makes them very special, indeed!

Audrey Pettit said...

Such a happy and sweet card, Kathy! Love those bright colors and pretty papers. You know it must be springtime when the pinwheels come out. :) LOVE that brad in the center.
Very sorry to hear about McGee. I know how closely you have been following those owls. So sad.

Unknown said...

Fun card the papers are fab and pin wheel is great!

~amy~ said...

LOVE LOVE your card Kathy!

Diana Fisher said...

I love what you made with the sketch!! The pinwheel is perfect! Thank you so much for using the sketch that I made. :)

I didn't know about the owls, but so sad to hear that McGee never came back.

Denise said...

so sad about the owls. Very cool story however. I thought they lived longer than that.

I love your card, Diana's sketch was one of my favorites from the hop, well done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...