Saturday, September 11, 2010

Putting on the Ritz & Free Offer

First I quickly want to apologize for not posting this yesterday. I invited you to come see a fun new post and then while I was out yesterday morning getting my flu shot and stopping by the post office, the weather was so lovely that I couldn't go home and work! So I admit it, I played hooky for the day and will try not to promise a blog post and then run out on you again.

What I want to blog about is how you can spruce up your house with very little effort and money. Sound interesting? A great way to create a little pizazz in the home is to add ribbon to things. I have a few projects to show you how.

This first example is the little milk glass vase I blogged about a couple posts ago. I found it on one of my antique outings.

I just love the edge of this vase and thought it would look even sweeter with some ribbon weaved through it.


What do you think? Do you like it better with ribbon? Depending on the flowers you place in it you could change the ribbon out to coordinate.

This next project is a trio of mirrors I have hanging in my bedroom. They already have ribbon on them that I had attached years ago. The bows have become droopy over the years and I think some color would make them prettier.

Here's the mirror with its current white satin ribbon. It doesn't look as bad in this photo as it did on my wall...it was quite droopy and sad looking. I'll be able to iron this ribbon and use it for something else.

I decided this dusty purple, looped edge grosgrain ribbon would look lovely. The only problem I had was that the wide width of my ribbon wasn't going to fit through the holes so I used a thin trim in a similar color.

All I did to finish the ribbon was to tie the thin trim in a know and used a dab of hot glue to affix the bow on the knot. Now look at my new mirror!

This next item is a pretty little rectangle serving tray. Some of you may recognize that it's a Southern Living piece designed to decorate with ribbon. See the two little holes in the upper corner?

I love this ribbon and how there are three stitched lines down the center. Doesn't it really add a beautiful touch to this tray? Depending on the season or type of party you are having, you can easily change out the ribbon to match.

Most of you probably know this, but for those who don't, here's a little ribbon tip. To get that lovely tail cut evenly, fold your ribbon in half and then cut at an angle. See how pretty those ribbon tails look on the previous photo? They are perfectly even with the center tip exactly where the center stitching is on the ribbon.

All the ribbons you see here and over 100 more are available in my Etsy shop. If you stop by and make a purchase, mention this post in the comments section during checkout and receive a yard of spooky bat trim FREE!


Well, I hope you enjoyed this post and it helped you think of some ways to add a little color, and a personal touch to your home. I would like to do another post because I had so many more ideas but not a lot of time so if you would like to see more, please leave a comment. Thank you so much for visiting again....it's always a pleasure!

Kathy :)

9 comments:

cnelson said...

You gotta LOVE ribbon! Great post Kathy!! Love your goodies!

Ujjwal said...

Great ideas to spice up the home Kathy!! Will surely love to see some more :)

Virginia L. said...

It sure makes a dfference using ribbons! I especially like the green ribbons for your newly purchased vase. You can even change it up according to the season! Got to love that! I definitely want to see more "make prettiness with less $$"!! Now I AM INSPIRED! Hopefully I can do something to spruce up my house with little $ :)

LeAnne said...

These projects are so pretty....especially the SL tray. I had one....it was my FAVORITE....and my DH dropped it in our driveway :( and I haven't been able to replace it. I love milk glass too; your post reminds me that I have a couple pieces somewhere hiding, and I should get them out & USE them!

Kristii said...

Lovin the ribbon accents!!! Makes me want to spruce up some things in my home!!! Thanks for the inspiration Kathy!

Aphra Bolyer said...

Love all your ribbon accents! That bat ribbon is super. Off to check our your Etsy shop. :)

Anonymous said...

wow.. what a great way to add that little something and brighten up the home with pops of colour giving them life :) love all your projects :D

A Consuming Passion said...

Love all your ribbon ideas here Kathy! Spring has just arrived in Aus. so time for some sprucing up...........

Audrey Pettit said...

What an awesome post, Kathy! I just LOVE this! Great ideas and fabulous photos. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...